Our Bible is divided into two testaments or covenants.
(NOTE: the following is an excerpt from the book “The Basics and More (A Year’s Sermons to Love by).”
Primary Scripture: 2nd Corinthians 3:1-18.
Our KJV Bible is divided into two testaments or covenants. The Bible itself is FULL of covenants: Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, The Ten Commandments (Old Testament, Old Covenant), The Mosaic Covenant (Ceremonial and Civil Laws), The Restorative Covenant (of great historical and prophetic importance), The Davidic Covenant and the New Covenant (the New Testament, the Eternal Covenant). Each of these covenants have a function.
Satan beats us up because we don’t understand the Eternal Covenant. Part of the confusion comes because the meaning we attached to the word “TESTAMENT” has changed down through the millennia. What once meant “agreement” or “contract” now refers specifically the carrying out of one’s wishes after they have died. Like today, in which we have different types of contracts between different types and groups of people; so in ancient times there were different types of covenants. However, in the Bible we are primarily focused on the Covenants (hebrew ‘berith’, Greek ‘diatheke’) between God and Mankind, which is a special creation of God designed for Himself!
The Bible is full of covenants, but the most important are what we call the TWO TESTAMENTS. Those two Testaments are also Covenants. It is important that you understand how these two Covenants are ALIKE, and how they are DIFFERENT.
- Both the Old and New Covenants were spoken by God, from Heaven, in an audible voice that could be heard by those who were witnesses (Exodus 19:10-20:22, Matthew 3:13-17).
- Both the Old and New Covenants are written by God, not by Mankind (Exodus 31:18, 2nd Corinthians 3:1-3).
- Both the Old and New Covenants are ratified by BLOOD (Exodus 24:1-8, Hebrews 9:11, 12).
- Both the Old and New Covenants require the death of the Testator: the One Who Created the Covenant (Hebrews 9:16, 17).
Both the Old and New Covenants fulfill these requirements–sort-of. How these requirements are fulfilled by each of the Two Covenants, however, are very, very different…so different, that one of the Covenants becomes OLD, and the Other Covenant becomes ETERNAL!
Let’s look at these critical differences together.
- In the Old Covenant God endorses His Written Word (in Hebrew the Ten Commandments are called the “Ten Words”); In the Eternal Covenant God endorses His Living Word: Jesus Christ!
- The Old Covenant is written by God upon tablets of stone; the Eternal Covenant is written by God upon the Spirit, Soul and Body of Christ (the Word became flesh [John 1:14-18])!
- The Old Covenant was ratified by the blood of animals; the Eternal Covenant is ratified by the Sinless Blood of Christ (Hebrews 9:15)!
- In the Old Covenant the Testator does not die! Rather, proxies (animals) die. It is evident then, that the blood of animals could NEVER purge the human soul from the guilt or consciousness of sin (Hebrews 10:1-14)! However, in the Eternal Covenant THERE IS NO PROXY! THE TESTATOR HIMSELF DIES, RATIFYING THE COVENANT (AND YOUR RIGHTEOUS STANDING WITH GOD) FOREVER!! FOREVER!!! ONCE SAVED, ALWAYS SAVED!!!!
CHILDREN OF THE LIVING GOD, YOU HAVE BEEN CLEANSED AND SANCTIFIED!! YOU ARE ACCEPTED!!! GOD RECEIVES YOU!!!!
Stop finding fault with one another and accusing one another and criticizing one another; if That Perfect Sacrifice “once and for all time” provided a Perfect Atonement then there are no more faults! There are no more crimes to prosecute!! There’s nothing left to criticize!!! IT IS BECAUSE WE DON’T BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF CHRIST’S SACRIFICE THAT WE ARE STILL CONSCIOUS OF SIN!
To demonstrate the TRUTH of my message I take you now to Revelation 12. [Read Rev. 12:1-12].
My precious family, look at the chronological sequence of events! Nothing is mentioned of what happens be- tween Christ’s Birth and Ascension; partly because it was common knowledge in the Church, but mainly because it is not Christ’s Passion that is the focus of the chapter, but how Jesus’ Sacrifice changed Heaven!
When Christ returns to Heaven and presents Himself as THE PERFECT ATONEMENT, GOD ACCEPTS HIS OFFERING!!! Once Christ’s Offering is accepted Satan (the prosecutor, the accuser, the adversary) HAS NOTHING LEFT TO PROSECUTE!!! The Devil is given his walking papers and is told “Your services are no longer required.”
(Notice that Satan doesn’t accuse the world, he only accuses the people of God!)
Satan takes exception to God’s Command, and is determined to remain in Heaven and continue his prosecution of the saints. Michael the Archangel says “Not today!” and, brothers and sisters, IT WAS ON!!! Fighting exploded between Michael’s forces and the Devil’s forces. The Devil and his demons just could not hang with the power of Michael’s angels, and they were all cast out of Heaven on to the Earth.
Who is Michael? Two clues: (1) 1st Thessalonians 4:16 in which the Shout of Christ at His Second Coming is equated with the “Voice of the Archangel;” (2) “Michael” in Hebrew means “Who is like God?” “IT IS FINISHED.” (John 19:30). It is finished, my friends. Your warfare is accomplished (Isaiah 40:2). NO ONE can take your salvation away from you (Romans 8:38,39); Satan has to trick you (John 8:44) into giving it away!
(LISTEN to this blog-post on any of TEN podcast platforms!)